Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bhapaji, My Dearest Grand Pa

June'1920-Decemeber'2009

S. Attar Singh Sachar... Late S. Attar Singh Sachar (its still hard to believe that my Bhapaji is no more). He was born in June 1920 in Raawal Pindi, Pakistan in a very affluent Sikh family. Bhapaji used to tell me, that they had a Taanga (Horse-Cart) in which they used to travel, and at that time (1930s) owning a Taanga was equivalent to today's Merc. Then after partition things completely changed, he had to start from the scratch, but still managed to buy a big house for himself in Delhi(my present home). Each day with Bhapaji was a learning experience in itself, I have learnt so many things from you Bhapaji...I am missing you so much (sighs). He has to be the best human being I have ever come across, I am going to share some of the things which I learnt from him here:


  • Thank God

    No matter how old you grow (he was 89.5), no matter how weak you become( he weigh barely 40 kg)..Always carry a SMILE on your face and DON'T ever complain..Every time I used to ask him about his health.. he just had one reply---> Shukar hai Rab Da :) (With God's kind grace, I am ok)

  • Seek Pleasure in Giving

    Don't expect from others and make GIVING a mantra of your life. The pleasure which you get in GIVING/SHARING is irreplaceable.

  • Smile your way through life

    Crack jokes and spread laughter, Bhapaji had awesome sense of humor, the timing was just PERFECT. Life is a very long journey (for him it was 89.5 years long), laughter makes journey easy and enjoyable.

  • Santokh(Satisfaction)

    Bhapaji has to be the most satisfied person I have ever seen. I still remember on my Brother's wedding, we bought him a new Sherwaani, though he was happy, but he kept repeating that he doesn't need it..he will wear his 10 year old Safaari Coat :).

  • Nimarta (Be Polite)

    In my 24 years of age, I have never seen Bhapaji shouting on ANYONE. He was so down to earth and polite. Bhapaji used to sit outside our house in winters, surrounded with many others of his age group, I still remember, every single passerby used to Genuflect, and Bhapaji gave his blessings and love to everybody.



Though Bhapaji inspired me in many other ways, these are just few examples. Its still hard to believe and accept that he is no more. Everytime I used to leave for office, I used to seek his blessings, and every time Bhapaji used to do a 2 minute Ardas (sighs), after coming back from work he would ask me about my day and everything. He was (is) such an integral part of my family, how will we manage without him? Whose opinion would we seek now? Whose blessings will now make my day? Whom will I fondly call “Bhapaji”?


I know I have never got a chance to thank you, today when you are no more with us, I really wish that I would have just told you once that how important you were to me. I love you Grand Pa, I will miss you my Dearest Bhapaji.

7 comments:

  1. A very touching post. It reminded me of my Dada jee. His story also started in Pakistan and it was his adventures in Africa during Second World War as a British Indian soldier that fascinated me the most.

    May your Bhapaji rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bhainji thank you for sharing these beautiful jewels of wisdom from Bhapaji. My dadaji's story was very similar - he was born in Gujranwala in Pakistan and their family moved to Jalandhar after partition.

    Guru Granth Sahib ji says "babania kahani puth suputh karaen" - The heroic stories of the past generations make children into good children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ricky I lost my Naani ji in 2002, then my Naanaji passed away in 2006, after my Naani ji and Naanaji..Going and staying to "Naani's House" came to end, i suddenly realized that I am a Grown Up now. But my Biji and Bhapaji (Dadi Ji and Dada ji) were there with me, to shower on me all the love of Grandparents. But in 2007..I lost my Biji(Dadi ji). That was the first time when i saw my Dad crying. But with Bhapaji around.. I still was getting all the affection and warmth. But now.. I know..there is so one to save me from my parents scoldings, and there is no one who will love me unconditionally.. (sighs). Waheguru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kulpreet Hanji Veerji "babania kahani puth suputh karaen"...Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.. You will get answer of all your queries here.. Satnam Sri Waheguru Ji..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont have any words to write about this post & i know that no one can fill his place ever. God Bless you. :)

    also, i have to confess. my eyes got wet after reading all this. this post just reminded me of my grandpa, he left us in november 2004.

    @itsCreation (twitter)

    ReplyDelete